to September 5th
is Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
, a national campaign founded by The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
to remind us to get home safely. Drunk driving has become a deadly epidemic, taking the lives of more than 10,000 people each year. Here are some statistics and tips about drinking and driving:
According to Traffic Safety Facts
, 10,497 people died in drunk driving crashes in 2016. In addition, the estimated cost of all car crashes in the United States was $242 billion. $44 billion of the $242 billion was because of alcohol-impaired crashes.
Tips to Prevent Drinking and Driving:
Signs of a Drunk Driver:
- Decide on a designated driver, who will not consume alcohol.
- Ask a friend or family member for a ride.
- Order a ride-sharing service such as Uber, Lyft, or a cab.
- Take away someone’s keys if they are trying to drive after drinking alcohol.
Ways to Protect Yourself from a Drunk Driver:
- Vehicles turning too wide
- Signals are inconsistent with driving actions
- Braking suddenly
- Be ready to act quickly
- Stay at a distance from the vehicle with the impaired driver
- If you are about to come to a head-on collision with the car being driven by the drunk driver, pull to the right, stop, honk your horn, and flash your lights
- Call 911 as soon as possible
We hope you stay safe, especially this upcoming Labor Day. Be sure to use these tips to drive safely and prevent car accidents. For additional tips on ways to detect a drunk driver and then protect yourself from a drunk driver, visit Alcohol Problems and Solutions
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company’s
number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to Florida homeowners insurance
with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.