Celebrated annually on the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, National Package Protection Day encourages homeowners to protect against package theft. With the millions of packages being delivered to homes this holiday season, it is inevitable some will be stolen. Keep your packages safe by following these 5 tips:
- Track your packages online. Be sure to keep an eye on when your packages are set to arrive at your home, so you can make proper arrangements.
- Trust in a neighbor or friend. Should you be out of the house for several hours, ask a friend or neighbor to collect your packages for you.
- Ship in store. Many retailers allow you to ship items to their store near you. While this may not be as convenient, it does provide additional security. If the retailer you are shopping from does not offer store pick-up, consider shipping your package to your local pack and ship store for pick-up.
- Schedule your delivery. Most mail carriers allow you to reschedule the delivery of your packages if you are not going to be home. Some carriers may offer this option for free however, it could cost you a few extra dollars to reschedule depending on the delivery options available.
- Install security cameras. A security camera serves as a great deterrent for criminals. Most security systems will send notifications to your phone when there is motion detected at your doorstep. Some security systems also allow you to video conference with someone at your door, which is a great deterrent for thieves.
Although there are many benefits of online shopping and home delivery, do not forget to take heed of some of our safety tips to keep your packages safe this holiday season.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is Edison Home Insurance Company’s
number one priority. We have taken a bright and innovative approach to Florida homeowners insurance
with coverage options allowing you to customize a policy to best fit your needs. To learn more about Edison Insurance Company, or to get a personalized quote, call us at (866) 568-8922.