When a hurricane is approaching, it is important for you and your family to be fully equipped and prepared for the worst. Your hurricane survival kit should be able to carry you through a week or two after a storm or any other natural disaster. There are several companies which sell pre-assembled survival kits, but they may not be personalized to your own family’s needs, especially if there are young children, which is why you may consider assembling one on your own.
Here are some ideas for building your own hurricane survival kit:
- Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 7 to 10 days. Katrina and Wilma emphasized the importance of having sufficient water on hand. Don't forget to include 7-10 days of water (separately) for your pets.
- Food - at least 2 meals a day per person for 7 to 10 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— jarred baby food
— snack foods (Peanut butter, breakfast bars, crackers, canned fruit, raisins, chips, etc)
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils / paper cups
- Blankets, Pillows and seasonal clothing
- Prescription Medications – at least 3 days’ worth of your necessary and lifesaving medications
- Toys and family board games
- Coloring books and crayons
- First Aid Kit
- Flashlight, batteries, battery-operated candles or push lights (including small night lights for younger children)
- Battery-operated radio
- Cash supply
- Important documents sealed in a waterproof case
- Pet care items (especially a collar and leash, identification documents, pet carrier and medications)
- Tool box
There are many other items which can be added to this list depending on your family’s requirements. It is important to sit down to discuss this list with your family, since everyone has their individual needs. You may even notice you forgot some things during this conversation, making it a great time to add onto your list.
Take your hurricane survival kit for a test run and camp out in the living room with the entire family, using no electricity. If you make it through the night comfortably, with no setbacks, you’ve successfully created your survival kit. If there were a few bumps in the road, now is the time to adjust your list.
Thank you for visiting our blog. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Edison Insurance Company’s mission is to provide quality coverage at competitive rates while providing exceptional service. For more information on Florida homeowners insurance or to get a quote, please call (866) 568-8922.