Recognized each October, National Fire Prevention Week serves to educate us about the importance of fire safety. Fires can occur anywhere and at any time. In fact, the NFPA reports
U.S. fire departments respond to a home fire every 86 seconds. In recognition of this year’s Fire Prevention Week, October 7-13, Edison Insurance Company would like to provide some tips for reducing the likelihood of a fire in your home, and how to escape safely in the event of a fire.
- Cooking is one of the most common causes of home fires. Never leave a hot stove unattended and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Be sure to have a smoke alarm inside bedrooms and outside of each room of your home. Don’t forget to test them frequently.
- Check your outlets and extension cords to make sure they are not overloaded.
- Do not smoke inside your home. Or better yet, quit smoking altogether.
- Keep flammable items in open areas and away from heat sources.
- Create a home fire escape plan.
- Each member of the family should know two ways out of every room.
- Don’t forget to plan an outside meeting place.
- Practice your home fire drill with your family at least two times a year.
For more escape planning tips, click here
As a Florida homeowner, it is important to protect your property should the unexpected occur. Sufficient insurance coverage to fit the needs of your family is available through Edison Insurance Company
. Should you have any questions or concerns about your policy, contact your agent
, or call us at 866-568-8922.